Friday, April 22, 2011

Head In A Hole

I have always struggled answering the question, "What is your most embarrassing moment?" Mainly because I have lived my entire life quite free of embarrassment. That all changed tonight. 

I had a brief speaking part in our 5 and 7 o'clock Good Friday services. I had memorized my couple minutes of material and the 5 o'clock service went off without a hitch. 

But after effortlessly pronouncing my first few lines in the 7 o'clock service, my public speaking nightmare came true: a sheer meltdown of my cognitive abilities. I couldn't for the life of me remember my lines. 

After painfully ad libbing for a moment, I fessed up and told the audience I needed to get my notes. So I strolled off stage, grabbed my notes and walked back on the stage. 

I regained my composure, threw the notes on the stage, and set into my part only to freeze up again and have to grab the notes a second time. This may have happened a third time - I'm not sure. Was there a hole anywhere I could crawl into? 

Finally, I got into a little bit of a rhythm and was able to end well. 

I have been public speaking for over ten years and have never had anything like this happen. People's support of me was incredible and I acknowledge the value these character forming experiences have for me as a person.  

I grew leaps and bounds tonight in the areas of mercy, empathy, and humility, and while I hope to go my whole life without ever having something like this happen again, I highly doubt I'll have that luxury. In the end it's experiences like these that make us better people.  

6 comments:

Shannon said...

No way!!! You did awesome at the 5:00 - it was amazing!!!

Just FYI - I did the same thing with the National Anthem. Followed the Rockies around and sang it before games all the time. One time... the last time... I walked up there and had no idea what the 1st words were. I had to turn around and my dad started me off! Awful!!!!

You are an amazing teacher - a gifted speaker - and a great student. Humility is good. The experiences we have to gain it stink! You however... are AWESOME!!! Get right back on the horse!

Charlie's Church of Christ said...

hope you don't mind me saying Brandon - but that's funny. Sounds like you handled it in the most proper way. Sure it sucked pretty bad. guess that's how you become a better public speaker.

Erin said...

I worked the 5 and heard how amazing you did! I went to the 7.....and really I wouldn't worry about it! You recovered well and no one cared. It happens to all of us at some point! Plus we all know how wise you are and what a gifted speaker and leader you are.

Last year I had to do "story time" at Fuel. It was the first time I every spoke in front of all of them and I was super nervous. No one cared about my story (that I half stuttered through) so I tried to be "funny" like some of the other leaders to grab their attention and redeem myself. I told a horrible date story that started at a Native American Festival and ended with me explaining to them how my ex-boyfriend had horrible diarrhea. I swear you could hear crickets. It was mortifying! Lesson learned: don't talk about poop. If you are a female leader it doesn't make you cool. Haha.

Can't wait for you to speak again! We all feel blessed to have you at Crossroads! Don't sweat the little stuff!

Brandon said...

Thanks Shannon, Charlie, and Erin! Your words and stories mean a ton to me!

Marissa said...

Po' Hubband...

At least you're handsome and your shoes looked good! You're still a rock star!

Chelsea Thai said...

I love your wife's comment. No prob Bro. It's always okay when that HUMAN part of us creeps out :). Guess you now know how I felt when you gave Patrick "The Mouth" Hurley my love note for Jack Wilkinson! Justice! hee, hee, hee...love ya