Sunday, July 31, 2011

Change Your Name

All these Biblical characters have something in common: Abraham, Sarah, Jacob, Peter, Paul. They all received new names after they had an encounter with God. 

There is tremendous power associated with a name. A name equals identity and reputation. 

This is why the Bible's collection of universal wisdom, Proverbs, tells us that "a good name is to be chosen rather than great riches (Pr 22.1)." 

What we do, comes from who we are, and the Bible's way of speaking about who we are is our name. So we ask ourselves, is my name one of integrity? Love? Kindness? Mercy? 

When people hear my name do they think of someone who looks out for those who can't look out for themselves? Who gives selflessly? Who is free of judgement? 

Name changes in the Bible were symbolic of the life change spawned by an encounter with God. If we claim to have had an encounter with God, but are not different for the better, maybe it is time for a name change.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The Crucible-
Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet of them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; leave me my name!

Brandon said...

Wow. Didn't know the history behind that play. Very cool. Thanks LG.

Unknown said...

yeah, I think it's all about communism and how the government (at the time) viewed people in black and white, communist or NOT... and paralleled that with the Salem Witch Trials.

But man, the theological implications are astounding.

katie said...

yep.