Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Peel Me

I peeled apples tonight. Some of them were bruised and mushy in spots, but I was able to strip away the bad parts and still use them.

It takes me forever to do this task (one usually assigned by my wife), so I had lots of time to cogitate.

The process got me thinking about a line in Psalms where the author says, "Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my thoughts. See if there is any hurtful way (Hb. derek, path) in me, and lead me in the lasting way (Hb. derek)" -Ps 139.23-24

What a painful process that is! I usually know the harmful "paths" I walk before I even ask. It's the act of peeling away the bad that hurts. 

But I am better without it. I am better without the sarcastic comments that cut others down; better without the selfish actions that rob others of joy; better without the thoughts that drag me to places I don't want to be. Peeling makes me better. 

2 comments:

Charlie's Church of Christ said...

peeling indeed makes us better, but man does it hurt. Hate those kind of paradoxes (or is that irony?)

Brandon said...

I would say irony :)