Monday, August 15, 2011

People Don't Like You

It's OK if people don't like you. It took me a long time to come to grips with that. I think mainly because I struggle with basing my self esteem on what others think of me.

My wife has a brilliant saying, "If everyone likes you, you are not being true to yourself."

Jesus warned his followers of this in John 15, "If the world hates you, remember it hated me before it hated you."

The Greek word for "world" here is kosmos, which literally means "something ordered" or "ordered system." We get our English word cosmetic from it, which means to "order one's face."

When Jesus uses this term he is speaking about a way of "ordering the world" that does not harmonize with God's way.

Jesus told his followers they will be hated by people who build themselves up by stepping on others; who abuse the poor and only love those inside their "circle."

If you are hated because you reject a system that marginalizes others and has no room for love, grace, and mercy - Congratulations! You are in good company.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

good post.

Brandon said...

Thanks LG!

Timothy Kellogg said...

Oddly enough, there are people who don't like me. I'd be lying if I said this doesn't bother me sometimes. On the other hand, it doesn't always bother me, it can also motivate me to speak my mind further or stand for things that may case some controversy. But, it's not always easy to admit.