Monday, August 22, 2011

Smoke, Drink, Cuss, & Chew

What if you never got drunk? Never smoked? Never cussed? Never "went too far?" Some people would applaud you, after all, these are the characteristics of a "godly person."

But what if upon further examination the products you consumed made you guilty of far greater evils? What if the phone you used, the clothes you wore, and even the food you ate, did tremendous harm to people both here in the U.S. and abroad?

Would you still be righteous? Would you still look godly? Often the acts that do the most harm are those that go unseen or unnoticed, but how do we most often judge people's character?

It is interesting to me that Jesus' strongest condemnations were against those who "looked" pious and godly, but were involved in systematic evils that robbed people of their humanity. 

Are we living the life that we are called to in all of our choices, or just those that are made public, that make us look good?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

yeah, if structural sin was an idea more commonly accepted, Christianity in the US would look very different.

Charlie's Church of Christ said...

very true Lance. I suspect we don't pay much attention to these because we'd have to change to less convenient ways. Even for me I've heard this enough to know I shouldn't shop at certain places, but I don't keep myself informed. Probably because I don't want to.

Timothy Kellogg said...

As with all things, balance is important to the results. Over the last three years, I went from being "conservative" to my "liberal" friends down the road of "liberalism," to the point that some of my "liberal" friends have said I'm more "liberal" than they are, lol. Now, I'm coming off the heels of a lot of heavy stuff, I've moved to a small town, and I've been able to reflect on what I think about all of this. Perhaps being a little more pious (just a little...one has to walk before running, lol) and a little less arrogant will do me some good. Pharisees come in all forms.