Thursday, December 16, 2010

Jumping to Conclusions

Don't be too quick to judge. A while back I was in a fast food joint, seated with a view of a parking lot, when a white van pulled into the packed lot and took the only spot available - the handicap space. 

The driver of the van, a fit guy in his twenties, hopped out and slammed his door shut. If he was handicapped, I was Santa Claus. I was appalled. 

"What a jerk!" I said to myself. But just as all hope in humanity waned, he cut left at the back of the van and walked around to the passenger's door. What happened next shocked me. 

He reached into the van and pulled out a wheel chair. "That's strange," I thought, "what does he need one of those for?" 

He then proceeded to reach back into the van, this time pulling out a severely handicapped person, whose face told me he was the brother of the driver. The driver strapped the passenger into his chair and headed for the restaurant. 

I felt horrible. I figured the least I could do was get up and open the door for them.

How often does this happen to you? How many times have you jumped to conclusions only to find out you were completely wrong? 

I have found it's best to give people the benefit of the doubt. This is what I would want people to do for me. 

This may be one of those perfect opportunities for you to "treat others as you would want to be treated."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

story of my life.

Brandon said...

Love it!