Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Toss and Turn

Sleep well.
Life sometimes keeps me up at night. It may be concerns about finances, tests or meetings the next day, physical endeavors, family issues, you name it.

It's a shame too because I really enjoy sleeping, but the trouble is the more I try to quiet my mind, the more it races on. 

Do you ever experience this?

One of my favorite passages in the Bible to turn to during these times, is Philippians 4.6ff: "Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."

The passage goes on: "And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."

This is not a formula for removing anxiety, nor will the peace always come right when you need it, but there is something powerful about letting God know what's on your mind and then asking for his peace to comfort you.

So when the temporal events of this life have you tossing and turning, give Philippians 4 a try and get yourself some good sleep!

2 comments:

Michael C. said...

I like to think of it as God waking me up for a chat. He usually knows when I need one.

Either that or I just need to hit the gym more so I will sleep better.

Thanks for the post Brandon, hope all is well with you guys.

~MC

Brandon said...

I like that idea! Thanks MC!